Friday, May 7, 2010

2nd Short Story: Under the Cloak series

Love at the Diagon Alley

A love so true – untouched and virgin, pure and chaste is this love of a boy for another boy. A boy who had never mustered love for anyone, not even himself; one who was not only born into wealth but also born into darkness.

Pale as snow, sweet as sugar, his skin gleamed in the sunlight; Hair so blonde that it shimmered as he walked down Diagon Alley. He loved it there. The people, so vivid, so colorful, went about with smiles on their faces. Smile, the sort of smiles he had never known – ever. They were honest smiles. Smiles that could only be painted on the faces of honestly happy people. Those people gave him a sense of insecurity. The life he led never gave him the smiles they had. He was insecure and he knew it.

“Draco! Listen boy, I have to go down to Gringotts. You stay here and get your measures taken. Don’t leave unless I come get you.” A scary man, as pale as him and with the same blonde hair but only longer, told him in a most cold way. He was his father. The Lucius Malfoy – the one, who sided with the Dark Lord and after his fall, claimed he had been spellbound.

He nodded as if he meant it, but he didn’t. He was staring down the alley. His father had left, and he broke his stare at the figure he was looking at and went into the robe shop, Madam Malkin’s, thinking, “This day might just get a notch more interesting.”

The bell rang as he entered and soon, the work began.

A little before Draco’s measures were all taken, he came in. His face was as bright as an angel’s. His eyes mystically glowed an emerald-like-glow. His hair was funny – messed up.

And he looked at me curiously, I had tingles all over. Then again, I can’t just act like a squeally girl now can I? So I let the usual dark cold Draco surface from within me. But I couldn’t just bully him. He was so beautiful, innocent, sweet and happy. He had a smile on him which fought my instinct to just squish his esteem with the fiery words which I learned from my father.

I guess I was in love. I was captured by his eyes, his lips, and his soul which emanated a sort of glow – he felt warm even from a distance. He felt so real. Unlike the people who I am around so often, he felt ridiculously real.

He came closer so then I started ranting about Hogwarts and how I was going to be in Slytherin or else I won’t even stay at the damn school. I tried to be friendly, honestly. But friendly in our household, in my group of friends even, in everything I do, is shoving people in toilets, or calling them names. I tried not to do those really.

But then beyond his softness and warmth I couldn’t help but think he hated me. He had changed his smile into a lopsided frown. I felt his warmth slowly retreat. I might’ve scared him. I have that effect.

I realized I was being a shadow to his light. We were in no way compatible – at that moment I reckoned. At that very moment I knew that he would never ever be a friend of mine. He might just well be my enemy.

I sobbed inside, fighting the thought. Then I saw a man through the shop’s windows, he was huge and beyond any doubt monstrously ugly. I recognize him vaguely as the school’s – Hogwarts – gamekeeper.

In an effort to win back the boy’s affection, I made fun of the giant looming outside the shop.

He shot back a furious expression. I later found out that he was with him. I didn’t know he was with him. How could I? An angel and ogre together? I really felt lost, but I didn’t show a hint of it. No I just grinned. I grinned my most devilish grin and went off after the lady told me she was done with all my measures.

As I retreated through the door, out of the shop, I felt a sense of knowing. I knew right then and there that our paths would cross again. They may not be moments of bliss, our next meetings. But I was sure that we’d meet again. And that smile, his warmth, his everything I was going to feel it again. I was sure.

I was sure that that love at the Diagon Alley would be seconded.

No comments:

Post a Comment