Saturday, August 13, 2011

Kangitngit



*** Kangitngit is Bisaya for darkness, but in this complex dialect it takes on various definitions with such vivid applications as to imagery. This poem of mine which is  a silly attempt at literature seeks to showcase the power of the word and the intricacies of the Bisaya language.


Samtang ginasubay nako kining dalan
Dalan nga ngitngit, dalan nga bala-an
Akong ginapangandoy nga magkita na ta
Maskin lang man sa kangitngit atong kalag mag-abot na
Sa kangingit gikawat akong pahiyom
Sa ngalan sa sapi,sa diyot, sa ilimnon
Ug sa mabugnawong kilid ako gipasagdan
Kangitngit, kahadlok, akong nasudlan
Ug ikaw gahulat sa eskina sa may mangga
Para kanako, nga abi nimo muabot pa
Ug karon akong subayon kining dalana
Padulong kanimo, maskin dili man ta magkita
Dawata akong gugma, kasing-kasing og pagkatawo
Sa kangitngit man lang pasaylo-a ko intawon
Samtang akong pagasubayn kining dalana
Hinaot atong kasingksaing mag-abot na.

TRANSLATION:
As I follow this road,
This dark and holy road,
I yearn that we finally meet.
Even in this nothingness our souls would finally meet.
My smile was stolen in the darkness.
In the name of money, of having, of liquor.
And in that cold damp corner I was left to wait.
Death, fear was what I have entered.
And you wait there at the curb, by the mango tree,
For me, whom you thought was still coming.
And now, I follow this path
To you, even though we shall never meet.
Receive my love, my heart, my soul.
Even just in the end, forgive me please.
While I follow this path,
I hope that our hearts finally meet.

1 comment:

  1. Marky, very nice makapakaw jud sa natulog nga kasingkasing .. :D

    ReplyDelete